December 21, 2012 A.D., apocolypse?

Read this (the Long Count part)

If link doesn’t work, read this:

The turn of the great cycle is conjectured to have been of great significance to the Maya, but does not necessarily mark the end of the world. According to the Popol Vuh, a sacred book of the Maya, they were living in the fourth world. The Popol Vuh describes the first three worlds that the gods failed in making and the creation of the successful fourth world where men were placed. The Maya believed that the fourth world would end in catastrophe and the fifth and final world would be created that would signal the end of mankind.

The last creation ended on a long count of 13.0.0.0.0. Another 13.0.0.0.0 will occur on December 21, 2012, and it has been discussed in many New Age articles and books that this will be the end of this creation or something else entirely. However, the Maya abbreviated their long counts to just the last five vigesimal places. There were an infinitely larger number of units that were usually not shown. When the larger units were shown (notably on a monument from Coba), it is expressed as 13.13.13.13.13.13.13.0.0.0.0, where the larger units are evidently supposed to be 13s in all larger places. In this age we are only approaching 0.0.0.0.0.0.13.0.0.0.0, and the larger places are nowhere near the 13s that would match the end of the last creation.

This is confirmed by a date from Palenque, which projects forward in time to 1.0.0.0.0.0, which will occur on October 13, 4772. The Classic Period Maya obviously did not believe that the end of this age would occur in 2012. There will be a Baktun ending in 2012, a significant event being the end of a 400 year period, but not the end of the age.

Ok, i know they calculate this from mayan to gregorian, but i don’t know how they actually calculate this (even though I’m good at math). I don’t believe in this kind of trash thought up by some dead civilization that the ppl mysteriously vanished around 900 A.D. Apparently, some people asked these questions: Did the mayans thought up on the apocolyspe? How accurate is the mayan calendar? Is December 21, 2012 the end of the world? Apparently, one note, if you believe in this 2012 A.D. apocolyse stuff…you’re annoying.

I’m actually interested if some of you believe in this junk and how the calculate this (this is hard to understand).

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s not going to happen. I’m willing to gamble on my stance as well, any takers?

I’m gonna die in seven years? Cool.

Ya…Maybe we should take the easy way out and create a space ship. Take ourselves to the moon with only the smartest people. Maybe Bill Gates can bring along the Xbox360!

Yah I heard this before, sounds kinda interesting. But anyways… Unless I am mixed up with the Incas or Aztecs didn’t the Mayans calculate time to be so accurate like every 10,000 years it was only off by 1 second or something? So unless I am thinking of the wrong group of people, yah their dates are probably only a few seconds off :wink:

By the time this happened, i will be 23 years old. I want to become legend before actually happened.

Jeez, what the heck is wrong with the mayans, how can they come up with the apocolypse?

The worlds gonna end when im 17? pfft.

I stole Selas word!!!

Lol. You’re 10? The worlds gonna end when I’m 19/20. Idc. I don’t know if its real or not. I could die any day so its just a matter of when.

worlds gonna end when im 19-20 also

but i dont believe it

Should I run to the store and stock up on milk and bread?

nope keyser they sold out 2 hours ago when this was posted :wink: people just now realize appocolypse is commin so they be like “z0mg! i n33d ph433 b4ead & mIlkz0rz!”

No…I got that covered. Buy a plane ticket to my house (I’ll tell the people to do that) and everyone will be safe. Mrp might even come to protect us. :smiley:

The protection of Mr P?? I think I might be better off taking my chances on my own… \ :smiley:

But hes the best protector…which reminds me. He hasn’t been on in a day. Maybe the monkeys killed him. I probably should have waited until his mom made cookies to do that.

World aint gonna end…

Most ancient philosophers did make up a lot of assumtions to make a claim for fame, it is possible that it could happen, except the mayans believed that they had the strongest army in the world, until the spanish came and wiped them out in a war that lastest 2 hours, so my money is on NO it wouldn’t happen.

And pigs will fly.

Hey, don’t u guys remember the Y2K chaos 6 years ago? Ha, we’re still fine after January 1, 2000.

pft, by then there’ll be the xbox 720
I think were not all gonna die and that there isn’t a meteorite coming to destroy the earth (previous topic, don’t worry about it).

oh no wait… 19 sorry i suck at math =P

One day retarded flying monkeys will take over the world!!!