New Forum Updates

"Doubtless that you noticed, but we’ve had a few new updates with the goal of building a strong foundation for future expansion. Summarized below is by no means an all-inclusive list:

[LIST]
[]Complete Forum software overhaul - the old software was dated at best and patched together from dozens of mods of the years - most of which became unsupported by their makers. This led to lagged processors on the server, muddled editing for admins/mods, but more important bad usability for the member. The new software is top of the line - the best money can by, Xenforo. Its a relative newcomer to the market known for its sleek design architecture and great features.
[LIST]
[
]Overall sleeker UI
[]WYSIWYG Editor - What You See Is What You Get Editor, so no more editing with BBcode tags just to make a post (although that option is still there)
[
]Faster, more organized attachment system - Faster to download, secure to retrieve, removes burden on database backed system
[]Search Engine Optimization - Google will have a much easier time indexing us
[
]New functions like Recent activity: http://www.gamersrealm.net/recent-activity/, reorganized Members section with better clarity
[]Greatly improved speeds for the User! Everything should load faster!
[
]Many, many, many more!
[/LIST]
[]New theme - Brand new custom designed them that should clearer, easier on the eyes, and overhaul a better ““grab”” at getting attention. Also gone is the old placeholder banner - amazing how a banner that was supposed to last mere days stayed up there for years. This is a work in process - if you have any suggestions on theme let us know!
[
]New mobile optimization - One of the other main reasons for shifting to the new forum backend was its fresh codebase which allowed a much more functional and adaptable design on a screen of any size - go ahead and resize this window and see what happens. Works great on phones!
[*]Addition of Clash of Clans forum - a game I’m very much addicted to at the moment, I’ll credit it with resparking my interest in the forums.
[/LIST]"

“Thanks for not only keeping an important part in the history of our life alive, but also making sure it runs smoothly and improving it Duke!
Here’s to you :)”

"One thing I’m not sure about is the new trophy system, is it better than post count? Or should we modify the default conditions?

http://www.gamersrealm.net/help/trophies"

“I say we have no need to show post count, lead to too much judgement in the past.
I do like ““likes received””, it’s kind of like reddit’s karma. But I suppose the same argument as before can be made though.
Trophies, meh mixed feelings, some seem hard to get and could lead to potential abuse in the future, but on the other hand, they’re fun.
I know I love achievement hunting.
Can we modify them if we/you wanted to?”

I’m personally in favor of showing post count, but it’s not really that important, as long as there’s some way to distinguish between a new user and a veteran.

"I like post count, but trophies seem cool too… good to see the site looking nice! Hi, by the way :slight_smile:

edit: i have no trophies… cmon man"

“[QUOTE=”“Dama, post: 1567407, member: 11235"”]I like post count, but trophies seem cool too… good to see the site looking nice! Hi, by the way :slight_smile:

edit: i have no trophies… cmon man[/QUOTE]
No throphies? You got more than me!
Welcome back Dama <3"

“They didn’t appear for about half an hour! :frowning:
Mobile site looks really good, btw!
Would it be possible to filter out old posts (at least without searching for them)? There are a lot fewer threads that are current and not like 3 years old so it gets kinda messy.”

“[QUOTE=”“Dama, post: 1567415, member: 11235"”]Would it be possible to filter out old posts (at least without searching for them)? There are a lot fewer threads that are current and not like 3 years old so it gets kinda messy.[/QUOTE]

We could archive them but then the forums would also look pretty empty. Most sections have only had a handful a topics created in the past year."

“[QUOTE=”“Gold disk, post: 1567425, member: 32850"”]We could archive them but then the forums would also look pretty empty. Most sections have only had a handful a topics created in the past year.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I guess. I think stickies are hard to see, it’s just the pin on the right side of the screen which you aren’t really looking at. Maybe if they had a different background color it would be easier to find new threads."

"Well it’s kind of a debate of what you want, do you want as what seems lots of posts that upon closer inspection all appear to be old and thus insinuate inactivity or do you want empty forums which kind of insinuate the same.
I’d say emptying them and merging a few can lead to maybe more activity.

We could start some discussion about everyone’s music taste again for example, but most of us already talked about that in an old thread, do we just revive that and see how we changed or do we create a new thread.

And I agree on the pins Dama, or if it had like a text in front of it ““Pinned/Important:”” or something so it’s easier to see.
By the way, I always just check the ““New posts””"

I say create new threads - archive anything older than 3 years and relax the rules about multiple topics/spam/etc. If you make a music thread, I’ll post in it :slight_smile:

Looks good man!!!

"Definently looking at merging some forums, but trying to do it only when I’m 100% sure its better - can’t ever unmerge once the leap is made.

Right now looking at merging Tunes and Red Carpet into one Entertainment section, moved HoL to a subforum of General… would adding a Cars/Auto section be of interest to anyone?"

“Merging those into an entertainment section sounds go, I say do it.
Personally, I’m totally not into cars :stuck_out_tongue:
But I know a lot of people are. Maybe expand it into planes, bikes etc?”

Definitely agree with the Entertainment section, and ehh… I think Cars/Auto could just be a topic in General. Can’t see too much discussion happening over multiple threads.

"Threw together an actual landing page on runescaperealm.com, small start.

Also used that same image for a new background image - you can change your style at the bottom left of any page. Not really sold on it but different at least."

A post was merged into an existing topic: Killakot’s Goal Thread