Would the World be better without religion?

I have pondered thsi question for atleast 5 years. I always have wondered if there was no talk about god,muhammad, allah,buddha,Satan etc. would we really live in a safer much better place?

wars would perish and love would circulate throughout most countries.
People wouldnt be dying of starvation in some countries…

this also brings me to the question who would lead us in this New world?

Please express your true and honest opinion when I think soem more I will talk soem more but as of now, im leaving that to you.

Hm, though question, hard to predict what would happen.
But to answer your question: yes, i personally think the world would be better of without religeon, but we do have religeon now, and it should stay ofcourse.
But if we were to ‘start again’ then maybe not having a religeon would have a positive effect on the world, idk though…

In a simple yet short answer… Yes!

Who would lead the world? The government probably, however each and every person has the right to lead thier own lives…

Lol, imagine our world being ruled by a cult of raging, Christian leaders…

They’d probably kill half the population in their attempts to convert everyone to Christianity.

The world would be hopeless without God. Sure there are “religions”, but I believe the Bible to be true and I know how God has worked in my life. He has never failed me.

Wow…

I really love how you’re THAT disrespectful to put other religions in quotation marks…

Good show of tolerance there, Makayla. Keyser’s minion…

I believe that man created religion. As a Christian, I believe that Christ came to give Life, not to start a religion.

Better without religion?
Yes it would, if you can consider a world with a considerably lessened number of food drives, fewer or no outreach programs, and no organized message of peace.
:spin: Kingofallpie

I say we would be much better without religion. Yes a long time ago some of our laws were based off religious ideals, but that doesn’t mean we needed them.

Religion is basically a way for people to understand the unexplainable. We can’t explain things, so religion did it. As time goes by, and science explains more, many religions will die. It is at those times, that we can truly have peace.

Do you mean we would be better without God, Ice? I was just wondering how some of you view “religion”.

It’s all about faith. I think it would be so scary not to believe in Something far greater than we are. You’ve got to have faith in something. Don’t you think?

Similar to the way back when, when Christiantity had unbelievable power. Around Roman times, if I remember correctly.

Heh, in my opinion, this is kind of a dumb question, with an easy answer. All the same, I’ll debate for my side of beliefs.

The world would be a worse place without religion, especially if you take Sela’s example. One such section of religion, would want the power, if we got out of it now.

Overall, if the world started without religion, there would be nothing to believe in, nothing to set us apart. Different peoples and cultures believe in different gods and goddeses, and theories and just everything. One persons beliefs are different from another, even if it by the slightest thing.

So, no. The world would not be a better place without religion. It sets us apart.

That, is the one main problem of today. Everyone thinking about different “gods”, having different beliefs, thier belief is more important than someone elses, someone else’s “god” being the real god… This is one thing that can and does cause war and conflict between one race… We are all the same, we are all one race… So why have different belief’s ruling each other’s lives?

It’s a get out clause for being idiotic, I mean… C’mon!!! Somebody kills someone, is arrested, and charged with murder… Yet once in court they claim not guilty… because they were told to kill that person by “god”… or jesus told them to do it… even going so far as saying “allah told me to do it!”… what happen’s then? They get sectioned, chucked into the little white bouncy room, and deemed insane… What a load of tosh!

Then you have the other extreme, were someone admit’s to being gay/lesbian or bi-sexual… They can’t possibly be a religious person, because it states in the bible that man will not sleep with man… Cods wallop! That person has every right to believe in “god” that person has just the same amount of rights as any other religious person… Yet they are shunned due to thier sexuality… Yet priest’s touch up the choir boys? Again… What a load of tosh!

Each and every person has the right to believe in what they wish too… It’s got nothing at all to do with anyone else what “god” or what theory that person chooses to follow.

Yet here we are again, debating “other people’s” beliefs and thoughts… Each one of us… (Including myself) saying that you or someone else is wrong… Why? Because it’s what we are, it’s what we do… it’s human nature to be inquisitive… its human nature to believe in what we have been taught… Strange though when you come to think about it… I was taught to believe in a god, yet instead I choose to believe in what I see and hear only…

So, again… as I have said on numerous ocassions now, would the world be a better place without religion?

YES! Without religion, everyone would be treated the same… there would be no more religious wars (obviously!) there would be no more racist attacks, based on religious wars… there would be no more corruption within governments… The world will certainly be a better place!

That is the one downfall of having so many different beliefs or gods or whatever. (This’ll sound weird, since we’re debating about it…) God made people the way we are. Or wait. I’ll just say this. People were made, by whomever or no one, with different opinions. This includes beliefs, favorites, theories ect. If people are held to one belief, or none at all, there would be outrage. There would be riots and Lord knows what else. The reason people were so angry, and left England to travel to the New Land because they could not believe in what they wanted. That was a controlled religion, and look what happened. Nowadays, people start riots over stupid stuff. Imagine this situation.

It’s a get out clause for being idiotic, I mean… C’mon!!! Somebody kills someone, is arrested, and charged with murder… Yet once in court they claim not guilty… because they were told to kill that person by “god”… or jesus told them to do it… even going so far as saying “allah told me to do it!”… what happen’s then? They get sectioned, chucked into the little white bouncy room, and deemed insane… What a load of tosh!

That is where a form of racism, or descrimination comes in. They should be allowed to say this, but not be chucked into the mental home. They should be allowed to say this, but not do that. There should be something around saying that murder, on any costs is agaisn’t the law. Oh, look. It is. Why not just extend this to religions?

Then you have the other extreme, were someone admit’s to being gay/lesbian or bi-sexual… They can’t possibly be a religious person, because it states in the bible that man will not sleep with man… Cods wallop! That person has every right to believe in “god” that person has just the same amount of rights as any other religious person… Yet they are shunned due to thier sexuality… Yet priest’s touch up the choir boys? Again… What a load of tosh!

I cannot use people I know as examples, but even though they me be homosexual, it doesn’t mean they are not religous. They don’t need to be crazy religous, but can still believe. Its called freewill. This is also a form of the worlds discrimination.

Each and every person has the right to believe in what they wish too… It’s got nothing at all to do with anyone else what “god” or what theory that person chooses to follow.

Exactly. So, you are saying that there shouldn’t be religion. Where is the sense in that?

Yet here we are again, debating “other people’s” beliefs and thoughts… Each one of us… (Including myself) saying that you or someone else is wrong… Why? Because it’s what we are, it’s what we do… it’s human nature to be inquisitive… its human nature to believe in what we have been taught… Strange though when you come to think about it… I was taught to believe in a god, yet instead I choose to believe in what I see and hear only…

Choice. That is just more proving my point. Humans are made to be curious, and we believe what we’re taught. We also believe in different things, you and I are examples. You believe in the seen and proven, it I believe in both; seen and proven and the unknown.

So, again… as I have said on numerous ocassions now, would the world be a better place without religion?

YES! Without religion, everyone would be treated the same… there would be no more religious wars (obviously!) there would be no more racist attacks, based on religious wars… there would be no more corruption within governments… The world will certainly be a better place!

There is, and always will be corruption. Rome. Julias Ceaser, favored but grew corrupt, and was eventually murdered. Hitler. President/Dictator, yet was corrupt and had mass killings during WW2 (Right?). Corruption is inevitable.

As of racist attacks ect, they may not happen, but people would be outraged at there religion being knocked out of exsitence. This would somewhat ruin what everyone has worked to create.

Magekill, in a certain perspective you have only repeated what I have said, you’ve just worded it differently…

With regard to part’s of what you have said, (can’t be bothered quoting… not at 12.30am anyways!)… You’ve picked out TWO people out of history that were hell bent on ridding the world of a different religion! Hense why I did not choose to name anyone, because in some way or another the majority of “leader’s/dictators” who have caused death in wars are religious.

You also say,

Choice. That is just more proving my point. Humans are made to be curious, and we believe what we’re taught. We also believe in different things, you and I are examples. You believe in the seen and proven, it I believe in both; seen and proven and the unknown.

Which is wrong… Yes people are made to be curious, I’m not going to dispute that in any way… but you say we believe what we’re taught? I suggest you re-read what I said, I said I was taught to believe in god, yet I do not… I was brought up to be christian… If I was to sign a questionaire for the area that I lived in and the question was “state your religion”… I’d put that I was christian, because I have been christened… YET I do not and will not believe in something that can not be proven.

And, last but not least you said…

As of racist attacks ect, they may not happen, but people would be outraged at there religion being knocked out of exsitence. This would somewhat ruin what everyone has worked to create.

I took this thread as being a thread regarding there being no religion, i.e. from the start… would the world be a better place, i.e. if the bible (or any other “holy” book) had not been written… Therefore this paragraph doesn’t stand, we are discussing if the world would be a better place without religion, we are not disccusing it has a " should be get rid of religion".

Yes… and no. Yes, it would be good for us, wars would be gone ( a lot of them ) Less discrimination, less starvation. But it would also get rid of hope. People would have no hope of an afterlife, no guidelines, people would kill more, steal more, because the only punishment they believe in is the law. People would lose lots of socializing time, otherwise, I have no idea what it would be like.

I took this thread as being a thread regarding there being no religion, i.e. from the start… would the world be a better place, i.e. if the bible (or any other “holy” book) had not been written… Therefore this paragraph doesn’t stand, we are discussing if the world would be a better place without religion, we are not disccusing it has a " should be get rid of religion".

And I took this thread as taking it away.

I have no response for that really. And no, I didn;t just restate you.

It depends on how religions is defined. In fact, the world would be better without religion, as long as we all worship one deity. (then it wuld be reality, not religion) I hope that deity would be Yahweh, the god of the three Abrahamic branches of religion

Well, seeing with all these religion extremists, wars would break out, who knows how many people would die if religion was a mere memory of humanity. I think it does keep a part of our planet in order, but another part helps me think that if we got rid of it, life would be more simple.

Some ups and downs of removal of religion:

Good side:

World peace, and agreement amongst many problems, like money, government, and status of people would come to a universal thought. Fairness.

People would be able to concentrate on bigger things instead of religion, and ignore all the insane thoughts of these hundreds of gods. Earth could agree on one god. NO GOD.

Simplicity would be one step closer to Earth, and as I stated above, we could concentrate on bigger world problems.

Bad Side:

Religious Extremists who have invested countless hours into their religion, and been ever-faithful would have nowhere to go, and be stuck in quite a problem. If religion had never even met the face of the Earth, then life would have been so much more simple. Too bad.

VIOLENCE. Man, that word is all too common now. Wars would break out over the different religions. People would fight and boycott and do everything possible to bring religion back into the Earth’s everyday life, and that’s where wars would start. We could go in one huge war, with everyone trying to convert one another, and it would be hectic as hell.

It is a thought, but nothing to be worked on in the near-future. It would take centuries to decrease religion on Earth, for it has evolved so much, with bibles, gods, myths, churches, and a countless number of other unneccessary sections of religions. Man, too think how much more simple life could be without religion.

Now think about this, how did religion even start? Was it just a philosophy that grew over centuries?

That’s an unanswerable question. Just like the one you have proposed to us. We’ll have to wait it off apparently, and not expect any action to take in our lifetimes.

Good thought. Too bad we can’t do anything about it.

I think Jehovah is a better God than the time god. No god is time god, and time god causes rebellions. There would be rebelions everywhere and lovelessness and hate.

As I stated, there would be a good and bad side. Love and hate. Peace and War.